The process is as follows (screenshots were taken on an iPhone but would be similar for an iPad);
- Add a new mail account but choose 'Microsoft Exchange' (not Gmail)
- Add your details as follows;
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domain: <leave blank>
- Username: email@example.com
- Password: <yourpassword>
- When you click Next, you might receive the following verification notice:
- Click Continue, an additional field will become visible requiring a server name, use: m.google.com and click Done to verify and complete the setup.
And that's it - confirm that Push is enabled for this account in Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Fetch New Data --> Advanced
Two things to note:
- If you get any messages complaining about not being able to verify a certificate, click Accept to continue anyway
- Push mail has more of an impact on battery life, if this is a problem you could always revert back to Fetching without needing to re-setup your mail account.